Monday, February 27, 2006

Thoughts on Spring and Church

I’m not a big fan of winter. I’m not a big fan of snow. Lots of folks love the snow, it looks so pretty, and the kids love to play in it. I know that is true, but when I see snow, I think of ice, and ice means that the lights can go off, and I like my heater too much for the lights to go off. I tell people that I wanted to deal with snow and ice, I’d move up north, but I live in Mississippi for a reason!

One of the by products of the cold during the winter is that on Sunday, some say that it is too cold to come to church. The weather will start warming soon as we draw close to spring, and that is great. I always assume that attendance will pick up on Sundays since it is not so cold, but then I hear, preacher, its too nice out, so we decided to go to the lake or spend time outside.

So, during the winter, we don’t come to church because it is too cold, and during the spring, so nice, so we don’t come to church. Of course, we can’t come to church during the summer because it is summer, it’s hot, and besides the kids are out of school. And the fall! That’s football season and we have to drive up to Oxford (or maybe Starkville) for the game.

I know that we all love God, but we seem to have a hard time fitting him into our schedule. But, we do love God, right? 1 John 5:3 says, “This is love for God: to obey his commands.” The word of God says in Hebrews 10:24-25, “And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.”

1 comment:

  1. Amen Brother Stoddard. You hit a home run here. I just wonder if anybody's listening. I hope so.

    Also, congrats on becoming an official member of the Methodist blogroll. (finally !!)

    ReplyDelete