Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Lent: Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Old Testament Lesson

Jeremiah 25:8-17

This is one of the more interesting passages in the Bible. Here, the Lord calls Nebuchadrezzar His servant. Now, Nebuchadrezzar was not in reality a servant of God. He did not follow God, he did not obey God's law, he did not worship God. He was the king of a sinful and pagan nation, they opposed God and worshiped many false gods. The the Lord calls him His servant. Why?

Because God is going to use him. God is going to use Nebuchadrezzar for a grand purpose. Now, that purpose is to punish His people for disobeying Him. But, to punish them, God will used this pagan king that did not know or worship God.

Two things: One, God is the one pulling the strings. He will accomplish His will and humans cannot stop Him. He will do what He wants to do. We can either work with His will and plan or we can kick against the goads. Two, God can and will use anyone. If He can use someone as evil as Nebuchadrezzar, can't He use you and me?

New Testament Lesson

Romans 10:1-13

There is that great article of salvation: Romans 10:9. If you confess with your lips and believe in your heart, you shall be saved. Its not rocket science. It is simple to understand; it is just hard to do. We must humble ourselves to the point where we can believe, where we can be used, where we can confess. It is not the world's most complicated procedure. But, sometimes it is the simple things that trip us up.

Belief and confession. We must start there. That, that is what God desires of us.

Gospel Lesson

John 9:18-41

There is that great scene in this passage where the Pharisees are harassing the man born blind about if he things that Jesus was this or that. And, finally the man says, I don't know all these things, all I know was that I was blind, and now I see. And He did it.

I don't know all the mysteries in the world. I can't explain everything that is to be explained. I can't fathom certain things, my mind cannot wrap around them. All I know is that I was once blind, but now I see. I was once dead, but now I'm alive. I was once hopeless, now I have the greatest hope.

I don't know everything; but I do know this, Jesus is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment