Friday, December 16, 2005

Go see Narnia. Now.

My wife and I went to see Narnia last night, and it was amazing. It was just really well done. I'm a big CS Lewis fan, and thought the movie was very faithful to the book, especially in the essence of who the children were. Lucy, for instance, in the book has a huge heart and a deep love of Aslan. That really comes through in the movie. I was also impressed with CGI and the animals, they were very realistic.

The only problem I had with it was no fault of its own; it is just reality of why books are better than movies. You really can't get inside the head of the characters in a movie. In the book, Edmund is consumed with Turkish Delight. It nearly takes over his mind. That doesn't really come through, to me, in the movie. But, there is really no way to get it to come through because it is nearly impossible to get inside the mind of a character in a movie.

But, you really must go see it. If you are a Lewis fan, you will enjoy it.

2 comments:

  1. Going to see it for the 2nd time today with some of the impoverished kids that three of us minister to. I saw it opening night with Gary and Keith.

    I did love it too. I see your point about the Turkish Delight. Also, I just rewatched Lord of the Rings and noticed how much more detailed it was. But of course you could say that the book was much more detailed than Lewis' Chronicles series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the same thing about LOR. Also, I noticed that Narnia and LOR had some of the same images (bad guys in the woods, working on weapons, an overhead shot of the good guys walking) and if you didn't know the history of Lewis and JRRT, you might even think that Narnia kind of copied LOR, when in reality, they are similar stories. But, you can really tell Narnia was for kids, LOR for older folks.

    ReplyDelete