Friday, January 20, 2006

Heaven is a lot furrier today

I posted earlier about the loss of my friend and dog, Cherry. I just recieved an email about Jean. Jean was a guide dog for a friend of mine that is also a United Methodist Pastor, Eric Pridmore. And those of us that know Eric and Jean, know that Eric was riding Jean's coatails. Sadly, Jean had cancer, and today, he died. Jean was commissioned for ministry when Eric was ordained.

Some would think it sad to spend so much time talking about animals. But, in the book of Isaiah how is heaven painted but as a land where the lion and lamb lay together. God created the animals as a part of the earth, and in our fall, we took them with us. Now, I'm not saying we should go crazy over this, but I do beleive that it is our Christian duty to care for these pieces of God's creation.

So, farewell, furry friends. Thank you for the joy you gave us, the love, the friendship. We will miss you, but through our laughter, stoires, and finding of a stray bone, we will always remember you.

2 comments:

  1. I talked to Eric Saturday. Michelle and I are going to go to Gene's funeral services this coming Sunday. Millsaps Dye and maybe Tom Atkins will be speaking. I've done doggy funerals at home with my wife before, but never actually attended one. Gene will be taken out and buried in a pet cemetery nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts. I'm presently taking a course on pastoral counseling, and the prof has told us not to underestimate the loss of a pet. Our society does not permit mourning of their loss, so these feelings are often bottled up until they cause more harm than would come about from deliberate grieving.

    ReplyDelete