Sunday, January 29, 2006

Let thy goodness, like a fetter

Those are some of the words to one of my favorite hymns, "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing." I love in the last line in the UM Hymnal how it say that we are prone to wander, Lord I feel it, prone to leave the God I love. So much of faith can be summed up in that one phrase. Prone to wander, prone to leave the God I love.

I write this on a Sunday after a day of preaching and singing at church and feel so excited because of what God is doing in our church. Today, we witnessed folks come to the altar and pray, we felt God's Spirit in worship, and enjoyed good fellowship following morning worship. Tonight we had a service of song, and it was a joyful time.

But at the same time, we get so tied into this world to at the same time our mouths are praising God, our minds are thinking about tomorrow and work. Or thinking about some ballgame. Or thinking about anything but God.

We are prone to wander. Maybe not to wander out into traffic, but to wander away from our mission. Wander away from our purpose. Wander away from giving God everything.

I am blessed to have a wonderful wife, beautiful daughter, and a warm and loving church. But, sometimes it is not things of God that most excite me, but the things of the world. Sometimes instead of being broken hearted over those that are in physical or spiritual need, I am broken hearted over something like a scratch on my truck. Prone to wander, Lord I feel it.

But, I know that I'm not the only one. And I know that His grace is sufficient. And I know that repentance is the work of grace because through it, we can come back to God. And I know that tomorrow is another day. And God is still there. Maybe it didn't all work out today, but tomorrow, God's grace will be there. Here's my heart, take and seal it, seal it for thy courts above.

3 comments:

  1. Amen, brother Andy.

    I can completely understand the concept of wandering. I sometimes wonder if I have a little ADD in me.

    It is hard sometimes to even pray, because we find so many things vying for our time. But the kicker is that we allow all these things in. It's hard not too...but not impossible.

    May your day be filled with the optimism of God...the optimism found in this post.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a quick note to let you know about my blog, Hymnographic Explorations, www.hymnographyunbound.blogspot.com

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Andy --

    Rejoice. You were at a Sunday church where something happened that was not printed in the bulletin. How rare. How wonderful.

    ReplyDelete