Monday, March 20, 2006

Ordination thoughts

This past weekend I went Jackson for my ordination interviews. It was a very interesting experience. It was, for me, a good experience. Those that know me know that I’m a little on the obsessive/compulsive side, and a little pessimistic. Ok, a lot pessimistic. I told my wife before I left that not only would I be deferred for a year but I would probably get kicked out the UMC.

We are fortunate in the Mississippi to have around twenty or so folks up for ordination this year. I have had a several friends that had complications and started the process with me, but have been delayed a year, and a good friend, Jerry Salley was with us in spirit this weekend, but he passed on into true life four months ago.

I arrived at Alta Woods UMC in Jackson that evening, nervous, ready to get it over. I saw a good friend, Greg Hazelrig, and normally he’s the cool one, but I think even he was a little nervous, as his interviews were that night. Before the interview began, we had a service of remembrance of baptism. I don’t know if any of you have ever participated in that service, I have that service every Baptism of the Lord Sunday, which is normally the 2nd Sunday of the New Year. That was a great reminder that in baptism, we find our all calling and that all that are baptized are called.

Greg had his interview, and I went and found a hotel to stay in that night. I came back and we had a cup of coffee, and talked about his interview. Everything went great for him, and I know that he’ll get through.

I did not sleep the night before my interview. I did watch King Kong, and it was pretty good.

I attempted to eat breakfast Saturday morning, but settle for a cup of coffee. Arrived for the interview, and I was batting leadoff. First one in. I joking said as we were walking down the hall, does the black hood go on before the interview or afterwards.

I sat down for my first interview. It was on theology. And, it went well. The questions ranged from my calling, to what would I preach if I had only one message (that God reaches out to us and longs to bring us into relationship with Him and with each other), what actually happens in communion (the real presence of Jesus Christ is made known in our hearts through the power of the Holy Spirit “virualism”), what happened in Baptism (the mark of the new covenant, God is the one that is acting), and the connection between orthodoxy and othopraxy (right belief is not enough, it must show forth in right action, but right action finds its birth in right belief). All in all, I think things went well.

Then came my practical ministry interview. And honestly, this was more of a blur. I think I used all my bullets on the first one, and don’t remember much about the second. I remember telling my call story, talking about the need for visioning and organization, and where I see myself in five years (I said, hopefully still at Coy, but I will not presume upon the Bishop and Cabinet where I should be)

All in all, things when well. They said they would let us know something this week, so now the process of holy waiting. But, whatever happens, I did my best and did all I can do. I started the process towards ordination in 1998 as a candidate, and if I am ordained this year, it will be 8 years. It has been a great process. I’ve leaned much about the church, and myself. I’ve made great friends and had great mentors. And my love for my church has only increased. I wait now, patiently, knowing that what ever happens, God is at work. And I have hope for my Annual Conference, and for our church. I know that God is still at work.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! If nothing else, for overcoming a little bit of that pessimism. You are a shoe-in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, no eggs hatched, no chickens. But it is over and we did the best we could and that is what matters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a member of the conference board of ordained ministry I can assure you that all went well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for those kind words, and I appeciate the confidence from the board.

    ReplyDelete