Friday, March 3, 2006

Prayer and Healing

I'm blessed to serve a church that takes prayer very seriously. The altar call is not just a time for folks to come to conversion, but it is a time anyone that feels the need to come and pray. Our Sunday night service ends with family prayer time at the altar where families come together and pray, and after Bible Study on Wednesday night, folks return to the sanctuary to pray.

The Word of God says that the prayer of the righteous is powerful and affective (James 5:16). In our church in the past six months or so, we've seen a woman that everything showed she would have breast cancer suddenly turn up cancer free. Last night we had one of our teenagers flip her car and walk away bruised and bloody, but walk away.

Today, I heard from a member that has leukemia. Three weeks ago because of the the high doses of chemo he was taking he was in a coma, on a ventilator. They did not know if he would make it out. Plus, even if he did, the leukemia would be who knows how strong.

He recovered from his coma. He needs a lot of PT, but he's alive. I talked to his wife a few hours ago and when the doctors did the latest blood test, there was no leukemia present. Now, that's not to say that it might not come back or to say that he is out of the woods. But, there is no way this family could have received better news at this point in their healing.

Why? Why did all these things happen? Was it just simply dumb luck? Or was it because of prayer. I believe that in my church we are seeing God do some amazing things because we are coming to Him in pray. Is everyone healed? No, they aren't. We still have many that are sick and hurting.

But, some how, some way, our prayers are heard. The prayers of God's people are powerful. In the Gospel there was a village that Jesus could do no miracles because of their lack of faith. God can still do amazing things, if we have the faith. I don't know why in some cases there is healing and in others there is not. But, I do know that I have witnessed as a Pastor things that can only be done by God.

Pray for those that are sick tonight. Our prayers matter. They do change things. Pray and believe. See what God can do.

2 comments:

  1. Andy,

    Greg said "Hi."

    Now you know how I came across your blog. I'll be back.

    But you did scare me to death. I clicked on your church link and then on the link to your picture. You're now in my prayers. You look like a spitting image of Bishop Lindsey Davis. Never thought the Lord would do that to two people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for saying "hi," glad you like the blog. I had someone tell me once that I had a twin, and I said there was no way the Lord would do that to two people :)

    ReplyDelete