Thursday, December 20, 2007

Advent: Thursday, December 20, 2007

This may be my last posting for a few weeks. After Christmas, Holly and I are going to the Holy Land for 11 days, and during that time, I won't be sending and devotionals out. The posting will resume when we get back, around January 8 or 9.

But, while I am in Israel, I am going to try something. I'm going to keep a running journal of all that we see, and all the pictures I take. I'll keep that journal here on this blog. Well, I'm going to try to do this. I've never been to Israel, so I assume I'll be able to get on the Internet and upload pictures, but I don't know for sure. Check back in next Thursday or Friday and see if I've been able to upload anything! Merry Christmas, Happy New Year!

Old Testament Lesson

Zechariah 4:1-14

We see in this passage how God accomplishes the things that He wants to accomplish. Not by might, not by power, but by His spirit. We are able to do the things we do not by our own strength or might, but through His. Remember in what we accomplish, it is His power that makes it possible.

Also, remember that when face a mountain that we don't feel like we can climb, we will climb it, but not by our strength or power, but by His. The Holy Spirit calls us to things, and enables us to things that we never thought possible. And, through our own power, they would not be possible. But, by God's spirit, nothing is impossible.

New Testament Lesson

Revelation 4:9-5:5

I love the imagery seen in this passage for Jesus. The Lion of the Tribe of Judah. The Lion is the king, mightiest of all the animals. He is the one that rules the jungle and is all powerful. And that is how Jesus is seen in this passage. He is the Lion, He is the king, He is all powerful. And He is the fulfillment of all that God has done, He is the fulfillment of God's plan, He is the completion of God's work of redemption. He is worthy of all praise that we could give to Him, for our life and for our salvation.

Gospel Lesson

Matthew 25:1-13


Once again, we get the message, be ready. Be on watch. Be looking. We never know when the Lord will return, and we never know when He will appear in our lives. We don't know in what new ways He may call us to something today. So, be ready! Be alert! Be looking. You never know when we may encounter the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment