Monday, March 10, 2008

Lent: Monday, March 10, 2008

Happy Anniversary to my sweet wife for putting up with me for 7 years.  You have me to follow my calling, never complaining.  You have made me a better man, father, and preacher.  I love you.

Old Testament Lesson

Exodus 4:10-31

One of the things we are prone to say when the Lord calls us to something is to day, I can't do that.  Surely anyone but me, I'm not gifted.  I can't teach.  I can't do whatever it is.  We all feel that way at times.  That is a common thought at times. Today, we see Moses felt that way.  

We see Moses say, but Lord, I can't.  And what did the Lord do?  He gave him someone to help him.  We are right to a point. We can't do these things that the Lord has called us to alone. We need each other. We each need our Aaron. Someone that can help us do the things that God has called us to do. Remember, we don't walk this road of life alone, we walk it together. We need each other.  To accomplish all that God wants to do in us and through us, we need each other. 

New Testament Lesson

1 Corinthians 14:1-19

We see Paul echo these thoughts in Corinthians today. He reminds us that we we do in church is useful for the building up of the entire body of Christ.  Through worship and teaching and preaching, we are called to build one another up. We are called to build up the body. He says that the more useful gift would be prophesying, because in that, everyone is built up.  

In the building up of others, we will find life, as well. As important as it is to have an Aaron to help us in what we are called to do, we also need to be an Aaron that is trying to accomplish what God has called them to.  It is not just that we others, but other folks need the gifts that we can give. That is the joy of church, we find what we need, and we are able to help others find what they need. And through all that, we are drawn closer to God, and each other. 

Gospel Lesson

Mark 9:30-41

I love the last verse in this passage.  If we give even a cup of cold water, then we've done something.  Jesus doesn't always call us to what we may think of as "great things." He simply calls us to be faithful.  Be faithful with all that we have and all that we are.  Be faithful with the little things. And if we are faithful, God will do the rest. He doesn't always call us to climb the mountain. He calls us to be faithful. And if we are faithful, the mountain climbing will take care of itself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment