Thursday, October 16, 2008

Do Not Be Afraid

Today, instead of my normal format, I want to share with you a brief reflection on one of my favorite passages of Scripture

Isaiah 43: 1-5

So often in the Bible, the way that God responds to His people is this - do not fear. Do not be afraid. Do not fret. I am with you. I will not leave you.

I love this passage because that is what the prophet tells the people, God has redeemed you, you are His. The waters will not overwhelm you, the fires will not burn you. I am the Lord.

I feel led to share this with you because in my life, I've never seen a time where people are more afraid than they are right now. People are afraid of the economy. The market. Terrorism. There are a bunch of fears in people's minds right now.

And I can understand those fears. As the father of two children under 5 years old, I worry about what things will be like when they are older. As someone that's 32, I joke with those older than me, I know that retirement will not be an option for me, I'll just have to work till the Lord calls me home. We all know what it's like to be afraid and worry.

But, the message of the Bible is do not be afraid! For God is with us! God will protect us. God will be with us! God is bigger than any of these things. God is bigger than the economy. God is bigger than the Dow Jones. God is bigger than all the things that we fear.

And ultimately our life, our safety, our happiness, our joy, these things are found in Him. Today, in this day, in this moment, let us not be afraid. Let us not fear. Let us trust God. Let us rely upon Him. For His is with us. He is good. He is love.

Let us trust in Him. Let us not be afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment