Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Playing Santa

Normally the main source of my blogging is a reflection on three Bible passages, or a quote that is uplifting.

Today, I want to do something a little different.

I want to tell you about something that happened last night. Last night Ripley First United Methodist Church was blessed to host the Foster Families' Christmas Dinner from Tippah and Benton County. Many folks worked tirelessly on the meal, all day yesterday and part of Monday. Teachers from Ripley Jr and Sr High organized volunteer students to help. Folks from around the county came to sing and entertain the families.

My job was to be the visitor from the North Pole, if you catch my drift.

So, I walked in and the children's face lit up. Even the older ones wanted their picture taken.

But there was one girl in particular that stuck we me. She must have been 4 or 5. Wore glasses, cute as a button. I noticed here when I walked in because she was standing in her chair, clapping.

When her name was called, she sprinted across the floor and threw her arms around me and hugged me. She gave me a kiss on the check and said "Santa I love you."

It's hard to say Merry Christmas when you are crying like I was. This girl just hugged me and did not want to let go. I hugged her back, and said "Santa loves you to sweetheart."

I don't know what this child has been through in her life, but I bet it's not been an easy one. She's in the Foster Family system, so I know she's had hard times. But, just the look of love in her eyes, the look of sheer, unadulterated joy in her eyes as seeing Santa could melt any heart.

I don't know how this relates to God, but I guess I can think of two ways. First, do something for someone in this time of year. Let's not get so focused on our own stuff, our own families, our own business that we rob ourselves of the true blessing of doing for others.

Second, when this young girl came to me with love in her eyes, all I wanted to do was let her know that Santa loved her. No matter what she had been through, Santa Clause loved her.

That has got to be how God feels about us. No matter what we've been through, no matter how much we've been beaten down. No matter how life has been for us.

God loves you. And He wants you to know that He loves you.

You Are Loved Today.

No comments:

Post a Comment