Thursday, April 24, 2008

Easter: Thursday, April 24, 2008

Old Testament Lesson

Leviticus 19:26-37

We see here in this passage two sets of commands. Believe it or not first paragraph was concerned with worship. All the things forbidden by the Lord were things that the pagan religions all around took part in. The Lord's concern was that the people not take on the practices of those all around them. For if their practices change, so will their heart. If our actions change, it will change our heart and the way that we feel about God. 

We see this in our own lives. You miss one week of church, that turns into two, which turns into a month, which turns into months. And we look up 6 months later and see we havent' been in church in forever. But, I bet, that we would look up as well and see that our hearts are not as close to God as they need to be. Our actions affect our heart.  

New Testament Lesson

2 Thessalonians 1:1-12

We see here Paul saying that one day the Lord will return and bring justice and vengeance. Remember, that is the Lord's work, not ours.  The word teaches us that "vengeance is mine, says the Lord," (Romans 12:19).  Some times we feel like that is our job, or even our responsibility. Remember, thought, that it is the Lord that is the righteous judge. Let us remember that He is the one that all will be judged by.  As a professor of mine once said in seminary, it is a scary thing to start calling down God's judgement from heaven, for none of us can stand up to God's judgement or stand before Him with clean hands.  

Gospel Lesson

Matthew 6:25-34

This is a passage I should read to myself every moment of every day.  I will confess, as I did last Sunday in worship, that I am a worrier.  I get it honest, though, my mama is a worrier too.  It runs in our family.  I know I shouldn't but I just can't help it sometimes.  

Many of us are worriers, so I tell this to you this morning knowing that I'm preaching to myself as well. We can't accomplish anything through worry. God will take of us. He will not leave nor forsake us. We can rest easy in the palm of His hand. Through Him, we don't have to worry.  Now, I know it's easier said than done, but today, if just for today, lets take this time to rest easy in Him. And we'll know that He will take care of us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment