Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Ordinary Time: Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Old Testament Lesson


We see Moses give one of the great responses in scripture in this passage.  Others are doing things that he has been doing and when someone says, make them stop, he says, don't be jealous for my sake, I wish all God's people had these gifts. 

Moses knew that in the end, he was not the important one, it was God.  In the end, it was not about him, it was about God.  If God has placed us in a position of leadership within the church, or within our job, we must always remember, it's not about us.  It's about the greater good.  In the church, it's about God's will, it's about building the kingdom.  In your work, it's about the greater purpose that your company is about.  But, in all these, the lesson remains the same.  It's not about me. It's about God.  

New Testament Lesson


Romans 2:4 really may be my favorite passage in Scripture.  I know I say that a lot, but I really mean it this time!  It says that God's kindness leads us to repentance.  How many of us turn to God out of fear of what may happen if we don't?  That can be a good motivation at times, but that wears off.  If we serve God only out of fear, we will eventually grow tired and sick of what we are doing. 

But, if we serve God out of a thankful heart, out of an understanding of God's kindness and grace, then we will never grow tired of serving, and our joy will only increase. Today, turn back to God, not out of fear, but out of joy!  For, it is His kindness that calls us home!

Gospel Lesson


Yesterday I took the kids to McDonald's. As we walked up to the counter my oldest (four years old) was walking a little ahead of me, but just by a foot or so.  My youngest (19 months) was holding my hand.  And where ever I went, he walked along with me.  It didn't matter where I was going to go, he was holding my hand, and he was going to follow.  He will follow my anywhere, and he trusts at this young age that I'll protect him no matter what. 

Maybe that's what childlike faith looks like.  

No comments:

Post a Comment